Our Awards & Associations
Voted best bankruptcy attorneys in San Diego 5 times!
To Start The Process:
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have already explored all other avenues, bankruptcy may be a legitimate solution. Filing bankruptcy will help you leave your overwhelming debt behind you, bring your financial struggles to a close, and get a fresh start. So, how do you file bankruptcy?
The steps in this process are similar regardless of the type of bankruptcy you choose:
- Discuss your financial situation with a bankruptcy attorney to verify if bankruptcy is your best solution or if you should explore other options.
- Prepare financial documents and provide them to your bankruptcy lawyer to receive a personalized recommendation.
- Complete a credit counseling class before your bankruptcy petition review date. This course will give you insight into what to expect from bankruptcy.
- Complete a means test if filing Chapter 7 bankruptcy. This test helps determine your eligibility for this form of bankruptcy.
- Have your bankruptcy attorney file the petition with the court on your behalf. Your attorney will oversee the process to make sure everything goes smoothly.
Your bankruptcy lawyer will introduce you to your options, depending on the specific circumstances you are in. In addition, filing bankruptcy alongside a knowledgeable attorney who is well-versed in bankruptcy law in San Diego can bring you a range of benefits, including but not limited to:
- Fresh credit score
- Lower monthly payments
- No creditor harassment
- Financial freedom
At our law firm, we have decades-long experience in dealing with bankruptcy cases. We are especially proud of our ability to make a difference in the lives of people dealing with legal issues, volunteer work, and active engagement in the community.
In addition to his Law Day activities and volunteering for the Legal Aid Society of San Diego Bankruptcy Self-Help Clinic for Pro Se Filers, Mark Miller is an active member of the CARE program and member of the San Diego Bankruptcy Court Mediation Panel, as well as a former member of the Local Rules Committee for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District.
A bankruptcy lawyer helps you reach an informed decision and take actions that truly align with your best long-term interests. They assess complex financial situations and devise tailored solutions, helping you decide on the type of bankruptcy suitable for you.
Additionally, your bankruptcy attorney will provide you with access to credible information, handle the paperwork, and help you deal with creditors. Finally, they can represent you in court and take steps to protect your interests.
You need to prepare for your consultation with a bankruptcy attorney. You should gather the documentation your lawyer needs to prepare your case. Preparing a set of questions can also help you start this process with the information you need.
This is also the time when you will discuss your payment plan with your lawyer who will help you set one that is within your budget. You could also consider your budget limitations before your consultation. Finally, before filing your case, you need to complete a Credit Counseling course, so this can also be one of the discussion points with your attorney.
Questions to ask your bankruptcy attorney include:
- What documents do I need to submit?
- Should I file Chapter 7 or Chapter 13?
- What fees will I have to pay for filing?
- When will the case be filed and when will it be over?
- Are there problems and pitfalls I should anticipate?
We are ready to answer these questions, address your concerns, discuss your options, and suggest measures that will help you alleviate the debt you have acquired. Let us help you pave the way for a brighter future!
As the premier bankruptcy law firm in the greater San Diego area, we have handled more than 12,000 bankruptcy cases. The experience we have gained throughout the years helps us understand how the legal system functions when it comes to debt and repayment.
We can deliver the best service and meet our clients’ needs, ensuring their best interests. Let our bankruptcy attorneys help you eliminate your debt with confidence!
Many people worry that filing for bankruptcy is a sign of financial irresponsibility. However, that simply is not true. According to recent academic research, 65.5% of bankruptcies are related to medical issues. In fact, researchers found that 530,000 families are forced to file for bankruptcy each year due to medical debt. Did you know that getting a fresh start through bankruptcy is one of the best things you can do for your future?
At some point, juggling the high cost of San Diego living and housing can get out of hand and the prospect of ending up with a substantial debt load seems real and intimidating. If this has happened to you, you do not have to deal with the nerve-wracking financial situation on your own. As one of the leading bankruptcy law firms in San Diego, we are here for you.
We are completely flexible about appointments: we offer free one-on-one consultations on the phone, video consultations, and in-person consultations. We also accept payments that fit your budget. Over our 25+ years of experience, we have filed over 12,000 bankruptcy cases and we will guide you through the process to ensure your debt-induced crisis turns into a success story.
We are always on your side. Contact us now!
Benefits of choosing our bankruptcy law firm
Bankruptcy Law Offices of Mark L. Miller is a collection of experienced bankruptcy attorneys in San Diego. Choosing us for your legal team will ensure that:
- You choose the most suitable type of bankruptcy for your financial situation.
- Your bankruptcy claim gets filed as quickly as possible.
- You don’t miss important court dates.
- You discharge as much debt as possible.
- You’re protected from being harassed by collection agencies and creditors.
- You receive expert post-bankruptcy financial guidance.