San Diego Creditor Harassment Attorneys
Put an End to Threatening Calls
When trying to navigate a difficult financial situation, the last thing you need is creditors harassing you. Unfortunately, this is a pervasive problem and our San Diego creditor harassment lawyers at the Law Offices of Mark L. Miller can help.
Creditors often go too far in their attempts to collect debts. They have been known to threaten people with jail and other harm. Countless frightened clients have come to us, but it is important to remember that you have rights, regardless of how much you owe.
Rules govern the steps creditors may take to collect a debt, including prohibiting:
- Harassment from repeated calls all hours of the day
- Contacting you at work, despite being told not to
- Contacting neighbors or relatives or threatening to do so
- Using abusive or obscene language
- Accusing you of committing a crime, due to not paying a debt
- Impersonating a government official or police officer
- Threatening arrest or imprisonment for nonpayment of a debt
- Threatening to harm your reputation, property, person, or family
Put a Stop to Creditor Harassment
Although the law forbids debt collectors from using deceptive or abusive practices, some continue to do so. Our creditor harassment lawyers in San Diego fight for clients who have been subjected to unfair debt collection practices.
Filing for bankruptcy under Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 can put an end to creditor harassment. If creditors continue to harass you after they have been notified of your filing, or a creditor continues to use deceptive and abusive debt collection practices, you may be eligible to recover monetary damages.